Friday 24 October 2008

Parking lot follies

As I was walking back to my car after leaving the bookstore, I had to walk past a gold Camry attempting to pull out of a parking spot. My first concern, as it is upon seeing any Camry in motion was for my own personal safety. I detoured and took the long way around to make sure I would not be backed over. It was dark and rainy, and even under the best conditions Camries have a way of unintended contact with cars, rocks, posts and pedestrians.
So I really think that the car would have, even with my detour, backed inot/over me, if not for the intervention of a curb. The driver was in the last parking spot in a row, and had a CR-V on his left, and curbing on his right. As he attempted to back out and to the left towards me, his wheel impacted the curb unexpectedly. So he stopped, look around curiously and pulled back into the spot. Then he got his bearings and took another shot at it, this time heading straight across the aisle and for the Volvo. Fortunately he turned just in time, and missed it. He put the car in Drive and headed off into the rainy darkness to make his impact felt elsewhere on the roads of Madison.

2 comments:

Randy Lioz said...

I'm assuming you've seen this...
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/14/no-mo-bondo-hapless-toyota-camry-gets-its-fill-of-filler/

Anonymous said...

You are my hero! Much appreciation to The Auto Snob for sending me your way. Do you muster similar execration for Ford Tauruses? I'd put a smiley here, but I suspect you abhor those too... (which makes me want to put another smiley at the end of that sentence)